Tuesday 7 November 2017

Puppies and Dogs...members of my family

So, for those who know me in person, they know I’m a dog lover.  For you virtual friends...


Dogs & Puppies, Romeo, Jules and Max


A few months before I moved into my first house (Summer 2003) I rescued a one-eyed Samoyed.  A cousin of mine had re-homed him temporarily but as she had 2 big dogs couldn’t keep him.  I got him on 1st February 2003.  My cousin had actually driven to Wexford previously but couldn’t make it as far as the door to give away the little fur ball.  The reason I remember the day so clearly was it was the date of the Shuttle craft Columbia disaster and my new puppy was named after Ilan Ramon, a colonel in the Israeli Air Force and the first Israeli astronaut.  Into my life pranced ROMEO...

(Romeo resting after a long walk)


About 6 months following this I decided to get a companion for Romeo.  I didn’t want to have to deal with puppies so I rescued a male pointer cross and named him JULES.  The both dogs quickly became great friends and spent many years being members of my family.  They were inside dogs, chased a burglar from the house one evening when we came home and loved their runs on the beach.   

(Jules saying hello!)


(Jules & Romeo running in the Raven Forest in Curracloe)  
                        
(If you are thinking of getting a Samoyed be warned – they need lots of walking, about 5 miles at least 4 days per week, ideally not on a lead as when you put a collar and lead on them their nature is to try and pull a sled, or in the absence of a sled you.  Pull and pull and pull.)

Romeo always slept at night time either on the landing or downstairs in the hall.  In this location he could keep an eye on both the front and back door.  He never slept soundly and always had one ear open.  He was a gentle giant but a fantastic guard dog.  The first night Jules was with me, he got a little basket with an old jumper and a hot water bottle on the floor beside my bed.  He spent the whole night whining.  The second night he whined for the 1st hour then he was plonked on the bottom of my bed to shut him up.  He stayed there for 13 years!

(Jules after a run on the beach, he went swimming and got cold)

Somewhere in the middle...puppies arrived.  Romeo had fun with my mum’s Cavalier King Charles – 8 pups arrived but only 2 survived...Brandy & Petra.  We hand reared them from the very first moments of their life.  


(Brandy & Petra at about 6 weeks old)


(Brandy & Petra with Vet (and hunk) Richard Bramley)

 

(Petra drinking the end of the tea with her daddy and Brandy gently begging from my mam)

As Romeo & Jules were getting old, I decided to get a new puppy to add to the family.  So, on Halloween night in 2015 Max joined the family (another rescue).  A samoyed/pointer cross and living up to his name he is as made as a hatter.  


(Max's first night on the bed)


(Max saying "Walkies time")


(31st October 2015 when Max arrived home)

 (Max & Jules sharing the bed)


(Max @ our Engagement party) 


 (Max's first Christmas)


 (Don't feed the dog under the table...actually it's keeping him away from the other dogs)


(Unlike most Samoyed's Max loves the water)

Unfortunately in February 2016 we lost Romeo & in March 2016 we lost Jules but both lived a full and good life, treasured members of our family.

John The Captain Ryan





No comments:

Post a Comment

Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski (book review)

A fantastic debut novel with beautiful intimite writing that will completely envelop you ... source Tomasz Jedrowski takes an inte...