Tuesday 13 February 2018

Sharing a Presentation - Thing 17

Down the rabbit hole I went...



(source blog.hostonnet.com)

Facing a Rudai21 Thing, but having no presentations or talks to upload “presented” me with a problem. After seeking advice from my course coordinator, she advised I could share (after gaining permission of course) somebody else’s presentation; I started looking for a presentation around the whole area of LGBT.

In the meantime, after reading the awesome book – Simon v’s the Homo Sapiens Agenda – I decided to read more LGBT titles and write reviews as a resource for library professionals. Then I realised, that’s what my Thing17 can be all about.

LGBT Material in Libraries.

The next step was to identify those titles that already exist within the national libraries and put them on hold.  This provided me with my first problem – I couldn’t find them easily. I then realised that as a member of library staff if I cannot find the titles easily how was a young person to anonymously find the titles. If you know of a specific title you’re sorted but if not...well it gets interesting.

I ran a report pulling out those titles with a Dewey number in the list below to identify the non-fiction (DDC21).

306.76 - Sexual orientation
306.762 – Asexuality
306.764 - Heterosexuality
306.765 - Bisexuality
306.766 - Homosexuality
306.7662 - Male homosexuality (gay men)
306.7663 - Lesbianism
306.768 - Transgenderism
306.7681 – Transsexualism

In order to extract all the fiction and items not listed with one of the above Dewey numbers I then ran separate reports extracting those titles with a subject of one of the following:

Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Bisexual
Homosexual
Lesbian
Transgender
Transsexual
LGBT
GLBT
Gay

All of these lists I exported, amalgamated on a spreadsheet, filtered out the duplicates, withdrawn and unavailable stock.

Finally, the total is 13,155 available items. Of the 15 million titles available this represents about .00087% of the national stock (if anyone would like the list just email me). This is quite a shockingly low percentage of the overall national collection.

Anyway, here is my small slide show about LGBT material, why they are important and what we should do now;


Conclusion:

I found the process of sharing my slideshow really easy, like everything it’s the preparation work you do is what’s important. It’s like when you are giving a talk, the better prepared and practiced you are, the better the presentation will go. For some it was probably easier as they had a presentation they had previously prepared, for me I started from scratch.

Another advantage of sharing your slideshow would be to get someone else to collaborate with you online before your presentation.

I must say, the rabbit hole I dove into was very interesting. I think it asks more questions than it answers but it would be a really interesting project to get into.

If you are buying some LGBT titles, here’s a great starting point.


Toodles for Now

John the Captain Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski (book review)

A fantastic debut novel with beautiful intimite writing that will completely envelop you ... source Tomasz Jedrowski takes an inte...