Wednesday 16 May 2018

The 8th Amendment. Retain or Repeal?

That is the question.  Social media, the press and everyone and their granny has given their tuppence worth over the last couple of months. This is the one and only time I’ll be posting about the referendum.



This is a difficult question, both, for a nation and its individuals. It’s even hard to decide what language to use, what I (scientifically) might call a bunch of cells or a foetus in someone else’s mind is a baby from the moment of conception and a gift from God. And guess what...I’m not disagreeing with them. The debate has been hurtful, tiring and destructive. The debate should be about how we write laws, people's rights and how as a nation we can decide and make an informed decision.

AND NO! ... don’t be trotting out the line “Well I have a right to my opinion”. Have your opinion but unless it is informed keep it to yourself.

There are a few things I am 100% sure of and nobody knocking on my door will change my mind.

1.       This is a personal matter. I’ll say that again. PERSONAL. What works for one person doesn’t work for another. You cannot equate the reasons why one person/family may want to keep a child and the next will not. And in some cases, will has nothing to do with it. So, as I’ve said before, the language we use is important. Don't be using the word dismemberment, murder and comparing the YES side to Nazi's.

2.       This amendment (as like most of the constitution) was written at a time when the vast majority of Irish people didn’t only consider themselves Catholic, they practiced on a regular basis. The Ireland of today is different. There are people of many faiths, no faiths and people who write RC on the census form but only go to mass for funerals and at Christmas. The Ireland of the 21st century is changing and we need to change our laws. It is my opinion that any laws about abortion DO NOT BELONG in the constitution.

3.       Our constitution and politics are predominantly written and dictated to us by a group of old suit-wearing men. The likes of Jackie Healy Rae have no RIGHT to tell any woman what to do with her body. I have no right to tell any woman what to do with her body in the same way that if I am in the hospital no woman has the right to tell me what I can do with my body. Either a person has full anatomy over their body and their medical care or they do not. You cannot choose which elements of Equality you agree with and which you don’t. That’s not Equality.

4.       Do I believe that abortion should be freely available to anyone who is careless and willingly has unprotected sex and is using abortion as contraception? HELL NO. Do i believe this will happen. No; because Ireland is still a morally strong conutry. Nobody chooses an abortion lightly.

5.       Do I believe that a woman that is raped should be forced to have that child? HELL NO.

6.       Do I believe that a woman should have to carry and give birth to a baby that is already dead in her womb or will only live for a few minutes? HELL NO!

7.       Do I believe that it any of my business? HELL NO!


So, in summary. It’s none of my business. A woman should have 100% autonomy over her body and must be able to make an informed decision as to her medical needs after consulting with her doctor. In a perfect World, the father of the child should also be consulted but he shouldn’t have the final say.  Laws in regards to abortion do not belong in our constitution.

To the Retain campaigners that called to my door a few days ago comparing the current government (who are crap), the Minister for Health and the Repeal campaigners to NAZIS. That argument is STUPID.

John The Captain Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski (book review)

A fantastic debut novel with beautiful intimite writing that will completely envelop you ... source Tomasz Jedrowski takes an inte...